Monday, September 20, 2010

Live Fire? Really?

Who in their right mind gives the go ahead for a live fire exercise near a populated area during red flag conditions? Red flag basically says, the chance of uncontrolled fire is extremely high, so don't start one. Yes, I'm paraphrasing, but there it is. Live fire exercises have a good chance of starting a fire by their very nature.

I think someone in the military will get a STERN talking to about how they OK'd an exercise that burned approx 10000 acres and threatened hundreds of homes in a pretty heavily populated area. Luckily, the weather turned and out excellent fire fighters were able to turn back the brunt of the fire. Only 4 homes were consumed by fire, so there's a little lighter news.

My brother in law was evacuated as a result of this out of control fire and while I'm VERY grateful his house appears undamaged, I'm somewhat annoyed as to why/how the go ahead could have been given in this situation.

This post was brought to you by the letters F, I, R, E, and the number 15.

0 more ramblings: