Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You!

To all our veterans, I say Thank You! I never served in the military and I didn't have any immediate family serve that I can remember. I had a great grandfather serve in WWII and certain times of the year remind me that I miss him greatly.

I so wish I could talk to him about things that are going on or introduce him to my 2 little girls and my wife, but he's been gone for the better part of 2 decades.

Patriotic holidays and his birthday really upset me because it reminds me so much of what he was about. I miss him greatly and wish I could tell him Thank You for all the freedoms he helped defend.

I'd like to extend that thanks to all the veterans of all our military and civil branches who put themselves in harms way for our sakes.

Thank You!

This post was brought to you by the letters D, G, H, and the number 2

1 more ramblings:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Yes, thanks to the vets. My dad was in WWII in the European theatre, and he is very thankful that he never had to shoot at anyone. He was in danger many times, mainly from falling V1's and V2's and German bombers, but he considers that this good luck dodging the bombs pales in comparison to his good luck in not ever having to shoot at another human being. He taught me to appreciate what the vets went through -- all vets, who had to fight in wars, no matter when or where.

Regarding boots: thanks for the recommendation. I get a nice, rugged, comforable (and therefore usually expensive) set of hiking boots about every five years or so. It'll be a couple of years before I need more, but I'll keep the place in mind. I've discovered the hard way that there is a wide diversity of construction when it comes to "sizes" of boots. In the same store, I'll try a pair of 11's and they'll be too small and tight, and another brand the 10's are a little big on me. Hence, I'm a little hesitant to buy something as critical as my hiking boots over the internet unless they have a no-questions-asked returns policy if the comfort level isn't 100%. I hike miles out into the wilderness, and the last thing I need is to discover a blister 7 miles from the trailhead, since I usually plan my timing to be back at the car before dark assuming that I can actually walk normal speed. With a blister, I'll be slowed significantly and thus, well, you get the idea. Hence, I like to try on my boots to test their comfort level and size conformity before purchase, or at least know that if they don't fit I can return them.