Sunday, July 29, 2007

Work Sux!

As you can probably tell from the title, I'm not particularly enamored with my place of employment right now. Basically, as a result of the greed of the owner, all requests for equipment that will give a modicum of disaster aversion over the last year have been denied. As a result, we suffered that catastrophic failure that all Sys Admins hate. The production database server's hard drive failed and this last week has been hell! I've had 2 16+ hour days, most other days were 10+ hours and I went in yesterday as well. The week before, we hit the wall in terms of storage space (we need more hard drive space!) and had to babysit several business critical tasks until 2am several nights. Since hitting the storage space wall, I've been staying up until 1am at least each night in order to babysit the servers remotely.

My immediate supervisor told me to order the equipment I need and that he'd take the heat. :) Nice-ish guy, but it was too late to avoid the galactic headache associated with the owner's actions (that should probably be LACK of actions) that caused the issue in the first place. To top it off, I'm salaried so there will be no real compensation for the last week and a half of pain.

Anyone need a Senior Systems Administrator? I'll consider relocating for the right package. :) I'll have to clear this with the Queen of course, but I'll consider it.

This post was brought to you by the letters N, A, S, and the number 16.

2 more ramblings:

Queen Karana said...

Heh.

If you find the right package we can discuss it. That's all I'm willing to commit too - but at the same time, I think it's reasonable. There's nothing to discuss until the package is on the table. :) True?

dubby said...

Finding a job is such a pain, but you are well qualified. I don't have any connections right now but will keep my eyes open.