Monday, November 13, 2006

Sniveling...

The Pink Princess is sniveling. I HATE sniveling. She wants to play the piano and that requires practice, but she hates to practice. The result is that she snivels and whines throughout the practice session, and consequently isn't trying very hard to get better. I'm conflicted about it. On one hand, I want to allow her to suck when she plays in front of people so she understands that it requires practice to get better at it. On the other hand, I have no desire to humiliate her. She has a recital on Saturday and she needs a great deal of work. I hope she pulls it together before then, but I'm not holding out much hope for it. Perhaps, I'm being too much of a pessimist.

Any Ideas? Anyone?


They finally fixed the heat in our office today. They started last week but couldn't finish because there was a part that was missing. The net result was that the office temp was 80+ on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and most of today. This was definitely NOT pleasant! At least the part is now installed and the heating systems seems to be working more correctly. We'll see what happens tomorrow, eh? :) I'd prefer it to be about 68 in the office, but that's me. :)

This post was brought to you by the letters S, J, F, G, and the number 6.

2 more ramblings:

dubby said...

I like it cool as well. As for the Princess, glad it is you and not me. Princesses can be so difficult!

My sister-in-law took piano - was pushed her whole life. Now that she has a choice, she won't touch one! My kids have eached thanked me for their lessons, but I never "made" them practice - I just rewarded them at the end of each lesson if they had done well. I had the teacher rate their behavior and improvement and that was their ONLY allowance, paid according to her rating. Worked for me, but my kids are different and I am not like Karen.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dubby. I liked the way she had us practice because it made us enjoy playing the piano. Bribes are always nice. That way, if you don't practice, you don't get better AND you don't get whatever the bribe happens to be.

By the way, I don't know if anyone's ever told her this, but you could tell the Pink Princess to try practicing her song a measure at a time. Practice the first measure over and over till it's perfect, then add the second measure, and so on. My dad suggested that years ago, and I've found it works great. But playing a song that you think is too hard for you really can be super frustrating.

Lastly, I'm with you on the temperature. I like 68-ish; 80 degrees kills me!

(Sorry for the novel)