Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Organized Religion and stuff...

Rant Warning! If you don't want to read this post, I'll understand. If you do and are offended, please know that you were warned!

I've decided to let it be known that I hate organized religion. I can't see any reason for it. The vast majority of organized religions I've seen seem to place more emphasis on what other people see you doing rather than what you actually are doing. Example. People make a big deal of getting into their "Sunday Best" in order to let anyone who happens to see them that they've been to or are on their way to an organized religious meeting. Of course some of them claim that it's to show respect to whatever religion they happen to follow. I concede a small claim to that, but I also claim that the same can be done by not wearing the worst things you have. Besides, isn't it claimed in the majority of organized religions that God (in whatever form you choose) can see you all the time anyway? I think it's more likely that this behavior is so that others can see you observing your religious gathering.

Then there's the idea of the religious gathering itself. It appears that people are going to worship together, when in most cases, it's so that one person can tell you his/her interpretation of a particular piece of text and expect you to accept and believe their interpretation blindly. What good is the free will that God gave us if we don't interpret the texts for OURSELVES and come up with our own conclusions? It seems more likely that those organized religions want to dictate how people act. To that end, they denounce this thing and that action publicly.

Speaking of which, this country was founded on the premise that there was a separation of church and state. If that's the case, then why do so many religions feel the need to destroy that distinction? Why can't they see that their actions are moving this country towards a place where our founders eschewed? Ever heard of "Freedom of Religion?"

Religion should be a personal thing between you and the pantheon you believe in. It doesn't require anyone else to participate. It doesn't require any place else either. I'm a religious person, but I don't think it's necessary to blatantly shove my religion in anyone's face. I also feel that there's a place for religion in everyone's life (whatever you believe), but I believe it a personal thing and should be kelp between you and your pantheon only.

This post was brought to you by the letters F, E, D, U, P, and the number 9.

1 more ramblings:

dubby said...

Okay, I'll bite.

I agree with you on 90% of what you said. I grew up, as you did, in the shadow of Jerry Falwell and learned firsthand how many "Christians" are hypocrits. Living in Salt Lake with Jack Mormons is certainly no better.

All religions, with the possible exception of militant Islam, ostensibly work to make you a better person in terms of loving and serving others, being forgiving, strengthening ties with families and friends, etc. Organized religion has a function as being a hospital where people can go to study and do better, and to step back and and focus and see where they need to improve.

Less than accepting blind interpretations, I like to listen to others so I can make informed, well-thought-out decisions. Reading them alone does not afford me this opportunity. I personally have come to enjoy church. And yes, I dress up as a sign of respect. No one would ever accuse me of showing off my nice clothes!

Many churches have evolved into social clubs. That doesn't mean all churches are bad.

Freedom of Religion is the freedom to worship or not as you see fit, but it is not to be confused as Freedom FROM Religion. That is NOT in the constitution. You don't have the right to never be "bothered" by other people's religions. There is also no Freedom from Offense. (Unless you want to be Politically Correct, but that is another discussion.)

Many people enjoy discussing anything that is important to them, be it ham radio, football, knitting, politics, or religion. I would hope that most religious people are discreet about talking with others when it obviously makes them uncomfortable, but not everyone is sensitive enough to notice this. My observation is that you do an excellent job of setting limits as to what you want to talk about or not.

Not everyone wants to be a beauty queen, or is a megagenius, or a health freak. That doesn't make them lesser people. If you don't buy into these traits, so be it. But the beauty queen will still talk about makeup and flaunt her body, the megagenius will still use a 50 cent vocabulary and imply you should have read Homer's Iliad last week, and the health nut will still cluck her tongue that you aren't eating enough whole grains. It's human nature.

And the religious nut will still want to share something he has found profound and fulfilling in his life. Sorry...